Women4Green Impact Series #4: DIY Tote Bag Night
Located at The Fashion Pulpit in Liang Court Mall on 8 August 2018, the fourth w4G Impact Series called upon mothers and daughters around Singapore to join us on a DIY Night with the theme of Singapore National Day. Gorgeous boutique tote bags and beautiful pillow cases were created and designed, the most trendy of which won a swapping voucher.
Attendants of this workshop learned how to upcycle used clothing and fabric remnants and breathed new life into style and sustainability.
We collaborated with Fashion Pulpit Founder, Raye Padit, a fashionpreneur who dedicates his time in promoting and advancing sustainable fashion in Singapore and beyond. He also founded not-for-profit organisation Connected Threads Asia, which raises awareness on the negative environmental and social impacts of the fashion industry. In search for a platform in which everyone could be involved in making fashion a force for good, he started Swapaholic, an organisation that plans clothing and accessories swaps across the island.
Working alongside Raye was Agatha Lee “Agy”, a textile artist who specialises in free motion embroidery and natural dyes, transforming textile waste into creative wearables and art. Her work looks at the public’s interactions with the environment, and questions how it can be improved. One of her long-term projects revolves around encouraging people to reevaluate their relationship with clothing, and transforming it into a positive one through upcycling and repair. Agy is the founder of The Green Collective SG, as well as a founding member of Fashion Revolution Singapore and Connected Threads Asia.
For more information on our partners for this event and their other sustainable initiatives, please refer to their respective sites below.
- Women4Green Impact Series #12: Forging Gender Equality #BreaktheBias
- Women4Green Impact Series #11: Sustainable Fashion 2.0
- Women4Green Impact Series #10: Women Champions in Sustainability
- Women4Green Impact Series #9: Trailblazers in Digital Media #1
- Women4Green Impact Series #8: Sense and Sensibility: Smart and Sustainable Cities
- Women4Green Impact Series #7: Zero Waste Santa
- Women4Green Impact Series #6: Eat, Grow, Love
- Women4Green Impact Series #5: Is the Jewellery Industry Sustainable?
- Women4Green Impact Series #3: Swapaholic
- Women4Green Impact Series #2: Sustainable Tourism
- Women4Green Impact Series #1: Sustainable Fashion