Women4Green Impact Series #1: Sustainable Fashion
CDL kicked off its inaugural W4G Impact Series at the Singapore Sustainability Academy on 18 August 2017. Titled Sustainable Fashion, this series attracted over 100 women in the discussion regarding the negative environmental impacts of fashion, the second most polluting industry after oil and gas.
In a welcome address, Esther An, Chief Sustainability Officer of City Developments Limited, articulated the reasons behind founding Women4Green, with its vision and mission of empowering women in the typically male-dominated green industry.
Featured speakers included:
- Mabel Wong, Executive Director of CSR Asia and Women4Green Ambassador in Australia and New Zealand, who shared the current outlook on sustainability for the Australian fashion industry using findings from the 2017 Baptist World Aid Ethical Fashion Report. This report scored 106 companies in Australia, including familiar brands like H&M, Uniqlo and Zara, on their supply chain disclosures and engagement, as well as existence of responsible sourcing policies.
- Wong Xin-Yi, Sustainability Manager of H&M Southeast Asia, who gave a presentation on the Swedish brand’s efforts to counter fashion’s negative impact for a more sustainable future.
Guests proceeded to exchanging thoughts over wine, cheese, chocolates and a light dinner. Complementing our aim to promote a more sustainable lifestyle, all the refreshments served at the event were sourced responsibly – organic and biodynamic wines from Wine Clique; artisanal cheese produced using traditional methods from The Cheese Artisans and sustainably-farmed chocolates by Krakakoa from Beans to Bars. Participants also enjoyed an egg-centric dinner from Crack, which sources all their eggs from local farms.
For more information on our vendors and their sustainable practices, please refer to their respective sites below.
- Women4Green Impact Series #16: Celebrating Women Champions in the Sustainable Built Environment
- Women4Green Impact Series #15: Ambassador Margriet Vonno – More Than Meets The Eye
- Women4Green Impact Series #14: Growing Edible Greens – Everywhere for Everyone
- Women4Green Impact Series #13: Sustainable Fashion 2.0: The Great Reveal
- Women4Green Impact Series #12: Forging Gender Equality #BreaktheBias
- Women4Green Impact Series #11: Sustainable Fashion 2.0
- Women4Green Impact Series #10: Women Champions in Sustainability
- Women4Green Impact Series #9: Trailblazers in Digital Media #1
- Women4Green Impact Series #8: Sense and Sensibility: Smart and Sustainable Cities
- Women4Green Impact Series #7: Zero Waste Santa
- Women4Green Impact Series #6: Eat, Grow, Love
- Women4Green Impact Series #5: Is the Jewellery Industry Sustainable?
- Women4Green Impact Series #4: DIY Tote Bag Night
- Women4Green Impact Series #3: Swapaholic
- Women4Green Impact Series #2: Sustainable Tourism